Welcome, and what this blog is...

During Spring 2008, creative writing students from Community College of Philadelphia attended the AWP (Association of Writers and Writing Programs) Conference in New York, supported by a college Mini-Grant. Students were asked to keep a journal of their time there, so what you have here are their thoughts and reflections on this crash course into the world of literary arts. At the conference, the students not only attended lectures and workshops, they also navigated a networking scene of more than 8,000 attendees, which ranged from venerable literary lions to pretentious wannabes, as well as every gradation in between. Hopefully the sage advice they received will help them avoid pitfalls and on the path of becoming published writers. One thing's for sure... they now know the hard work they're in for!

Mr. Kelly McQuain, Associate Professor
English 285: Portfolio Development
Certificate Program in Creative Writing
Community College of Philadelphia

Monday, February 25, 2008

My sickness is my own!!!

OKAY OKAY..I withdraw some of my last post, the part about Sully sickness making it's way to me. He didn't get me sick, I just wanted to get in on the joke and since I was sick...but like I said, he was not the culprit. Just a joke. Any who, wanted to talk a little more about AWP in NYC.

I was so happy and satisfied with my panel selections. They were all informative and...well actually, my selections weren't as good or beneficial for Saturday. I decided to go to a panel about imagery because after reading the blurb I assumed it was about writing imagery, a good time to use it, etc. but I was wrong. I think that panel was a little more useful for illustrators or artists of that nature. I did happen to see Kelly there asking all kinds of educated questions but like I said, there was no point in me being there but I was so looking forward to it that I'd gotten there a few minutes before it started (you kinda had to do that for each panel if you wanted a decent seat b/c there were sooo many people) and sat in the very first row. I didn't want to just get up and walk out in the middle of their presentation. I had another incident like that on the same day as well.

Besides the last day though, all the panels I went to will serve it's purpose for me one day. Okay now, gotta go. I will soon return.

No comments: